There is nothing prettier than a pecan pie! Yet another one of my favourites… Yes I know, it seems like every pie I make is my favourite. Clearly I cannot decide! My love of pecan pies started at my Aunt’s house. She would always have the perfect pecan pie cooling on the table when we arrived after our 1.5 hour drive. It was also so hard to wait until after dinner. I’m positive I snuck a pecan or two right off the top to tide me over! My recipe today is a slightly different take on the pecan pie (but don’t worry… a true pecan pie will be coming to the blog soon!).
Pie No. 3: Salted Caramel Chocolate Pecan Pie
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 100% cacao unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
Salted Caramel Topping
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups toasted pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Prepare Filling: Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs, stirring until well blended. Fold in chopped pecans. Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. (Filling will be loose but will set as it cools.) Remove from oven to a wire rack.
- Prepare Topping: Bring 3/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. (Do not stir.) Boil, swirling occasionally after sugar begins to change color, 8 minutes or until dark amber. (Do not walk away from the pan, as the sugar could burn quickly once it begins to change color.) Remove from heat; add cream and 4 Tbsp. butter. Stir constantly until bubbling stops and butter is incorporated (about 1 minute). Stir in table salt.
- Arrange pecan halves on pie. Top with warm caramel. Cool 15 minutes; sprinkle with sea salt.
Olive says “MMMM, nutty!”